Thursday, 5 November 2009

Looking up at the Autumn Skies - Guy Fawkes Night

"Remember remember the 5th of November, it Guy Fawkes night"
(Traditional English Rhyme - 17th Century)

Looking through the trees at the skies in Green Park, London

Tonight all over England, the 5th of November is still commemorated each year with fireworks and bonfires culminating with the burning of effigies of Guy Fawkes (the guy). The 'guys' are made by children by filling old clothes with crumpled newspapers to look like a man. Tradition allows British children to display their 'guys' to passers-by and asking for " A penny for the guy".

Hopefully I will be able to post some pictures of my local fireworks display in a few days.

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photo I just love Autumn .. but then I love all seasons I also try and capture them by photography sometimes I am lucky .. this one is great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny for the guy. I don't know how many times I heard that in the years that I lived in London. Now you've made me slightly sentimental and have me thinking about maybe moving back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wildernesschic... thanks for your visit and comment. Before I started photography I viewed autumn as the begining of winter. Now I can appriciate its beauty in all its colours. Glad that you love the photo! Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the O Zone: Penny for the guy... i haven’t heard that in years ... its seems that Halloween has taken over the celebration of bonfire night. Shame really...American culture is very persuasive!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your feedback, if do not you have have an account - choose the anonymous option instead. I welcome all comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and have a great day. Trojan xXx

Related Posts with Thumbnails