Thursday, 14 May 2009

Push: Based on the Novel by Sapphire

The trailer for the Sundance favorite Precious has hit the airwaves, and good heavens, it is stunning. Blessed by endorsements from Oprah Winfrey and Tyler Perry, the film is an adaptation of Sapphire's beloved novel Push (they presumably changed the title to avoid conflict with the year's other Push movie). The first thing that struck me is Precious actually looks like it's about something. Namely, a teenage girl (newcomer Gabourey Sidibe) wrestling with pregnancy, economic hardships, and a monstrous mother (Mo'Nique) who berates her every chance she gets. This is a side of America most of us rarely see, especially in the movies


Claireece Precious Jones endures unimaginable hardships in her young life. Abused by her mother, raped by her father, she grows up poor, angry, illiterate, fat, unloved and generally unnoticed. So what better way to learn about her than through her own, halting dialect

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this movie really does look as though it is worth seeing. I just happen to see Oprah yesterday when Mo'Nique was talking about the movie. Thanks for posting the trailer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I thought so too. I may have to wait alot longer to see it as these types of films tend to take alot longer to be show across the Atlantic.

    Thanks for your visit Mz Starra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I crying just after the trailer. I can't imagine what a mess I'll be watching the movie. I'm not typically a fan of Mariah Carey. It would be nice to see her in a role like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, I hear what you are saying!

    The trailer was quite powerful and the subject matter of abusive parenting is an uncomfortable issue. Looking forward to seeing the movie - especially I can do a video review on it. With regards to Mariah - i had to do a double take as she looks so different. This role could show a different side to her talents.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your feedback, if do not you have have an account - choose the anonymous option instead. I welcome all comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and have a great day. Trojan xXx

Related Posts with Thumbnails