The area has been used for a variety of reviews, parades and other ceremonies since the 17th century. It is the site of the annual ceremonies of Trooping the Colour, which commemorates the monarch's official birthday, and Beating Retreat. For much of the late 20th century it was put to a rather less dignified purpose — as a car park for senior civil servants — but this use was ended in the 1990s.
The catalyst for the clearing of the parade ground was the Provisional IRA's mortar attack on 10 Downing Street on 7 February 1991, which was carried out from a vehicle parked near to Horse Guards Parade in Horse Guards Avenue. Vehicles are no longer allowed to park anywhere in the area.
Hi trojan, these are great, and yet another thing I've never seen....I'm going to kidnap you one day and we can visit all these things, it is sad that there is so much on my doorstep i have never seen....i don't think i would go by myself though....
ReplyDeleteDeion has a trip to the tower of london next week, and i have to drive him....and i'm excited, cos i've never been...sad!!!
well i hope your mum had a safe journey over, make her join in salsa tonight...tell her i said hi...speak soon...well maybe not soon as i can't talk, but you know what i mean...i'll shut up now...
xxxxx
That very impressive building with lots of history. We have a Whitehall building here in Newtown Pennsylvania that was built in the 1830's I bet it was named after this one.
ReplyDeleteAlso I remember that bombing it was a day after my birthday and we were planing a trip to London at the time.
Finally your hawk picture is simply amazing.
Thanks Sally for your comments - yes we should spend a day touring our amazing capital city.
ReplyDeleteJames, thanks for your comment and your visit. Just checked out your blogs and i love the pictures. Hope to see you soon.
Trojan
Very beautiful architecture.
ReplyDeleteFantastic photos, it shows it's not always raining in the UK. The millennium wheel shows the contrast of historic and modern London perfectly.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks for all the great comments regarding this post. Like Sally I have realized there are a great many places in London I have never been to or even knew about.
ReplyDeleteOverseas people always assume London always rains, well I hope my pictures prove otherwise. The real truth is that the weather is so dam unpredictable!
James for sharing our common history by letting me know that you have a building in your city called Whitehall. I will check out your blog to see what the building looks like.
Thanks again for stopping by.
There's two places they change the guard ... at Buckingham Palace and on Horse Guard Parade in Whitehall the two places are about half a mile or so a part.
ReplyDelete