Friday, 12 June 2009

St Martin-in-the-Fields - London - Part One

I pass this beautiful church everyday on my way to and from work. It was recently renovated and it simply looks gorgeous.




Because of its prominent position, St Martin-in-the-Fields is one of the most famous non-cathedral churches in London. Its ethos as the "Church of the Ever Open Door" (a title coined by Dick Sheppard, Vicar in the early 20th Century when the work with homeless people was started) continues today, even though it is not possible for it literally to be the case. It is famous for its work with homeless people through The Connection at St Martin's which shares with The Vicar's Relief Fund the money raised each year by the BBC Radio 4 Appeal's Christmas appeal. The church is also known for its regular lunchtime and evening concerts: many ensembles perform there, including the Academy of St Martin-in-the-Fields which was co-founded by Sir Neville Marriner and John Churchill, the then Master of Music at St Martin's. There is a popular Café in the Crypt, where jazz concerts are held. All profits from this go to the work of the church. The crypt is also home to the London Brass Rubbing Centre, an art gallery and a book and gift shop.

2 comments:

  1. I kinda miss the tatty old market. The surrounds are a little too sanitised now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost agree with you, although I do like the Crypt building. The market did provide some character especially as there isnt many markets like that in central London.

    Thanks for stopping by, I think your blog is great. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your feedback, if do not you have have an account - choose the anonymous option instead. I welcome all comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and have a great day. Trojan xXx

Related Posts with Thumbnails